Thinking about installing a patio cover in your backyard?
We’re here to help you get started!
Installing a patio cover is one of the best ways to ensure you’ll enjoy more of your home throughout the year. Whether you’re seeking shade during the summer or protection from the rain during fall and winter, you’ll find you have plenty of options to explore.
You will need to consider the following when planning to overhaul your yard:
- How often you will use it
- Do you want to relax in it, work in it, or, play in it (children and pets)
- How much traffic does your garden get
- How much time do you have to maintain your garden
- Will you want plants and flowers
- What is the weather like in your garden (in shade or full sun, for example)
- What is your budget?
- Do you want a complete separation from home and garden
It may seem like a lot, but we’re confident you can handle it as an experienced DIY homeowner.
If you need help with your project, contact us and tell us a little about your project. We’re more than happy to discuss your project and provide an estimate for you.
Installing A Patio Cover
Whether you are thinking about installing low-maintenance artificial grass or installing a water feature, your ideas for a truly bespoke garden can come to life.
One feature that lovers of the outdoors choose to install is a patio cover. A patio cover has a multitude of uses including a place to take refuge from the sun or an outdoor dining area. Your patio cover can be as simple or as extravagant as possible and can be made from a variety of materials.
Your patio cover can be as simple or as extravagant as possible and can be made from a variety of materials.
Make it Personal
Choosing a patio cover is a very personal choice and what is suitable for your neighbor may be completely unnecessary for you.
You may want to use your patio for dining, entertaining guests or for keeping an eye on the children while you are in the house, or, you may want it for a more practical use such as a utility room.
A solid patio cover construction is a very good choice for blocking out the sun and protecting your patio from poor weather.
A partial cover is more suitable if you want to enjoy the best of both worlds. You can find out more about different patio styles later in the article.
Aluminum and Other Materials
Traditionally, patio covers were made from wood and, more recently, acrylic.
While both materials are sturdy and look attractive, they will often need a lot of maintenance. The amount of maintenance required for your patio must be thought of before you go ahead and install, as the last thing that you need is a rotting piece of wood attached to your home.
Many people are turning to aluminum patio covers, as they are solid and reliable. If you choose a reputable supplier and installer you can look forward to enjoying an enclosed or non-enclosed patio cover in an array of different colors and styles. A project can be finished in a short space of time, just one to two days in most cases, and they will be easy to maintain.
No matter material you choose, they will usually stand well in the following styles: lattice, solid, and panel. All styles of patio cover are attractive and depending on your personal taste, they will offer style and comfort to your outdoor area.
Lattice Patio Covers
A lattice patio cover is one of the most traditional patio cover designs and follows a classic pergola style.
The lattice style will offer shade during hot summer days, allowing a gentle breeze to pass through to keep you cool. The pagoda style is very beautiful and looks great in gardens that are full of flowers and a well-kept lawn.
Plus, the look of lattice adds sophisticated charm to your home’s exterior. With step by step instructions, you can easily add this shade structure to your home or yard
Benefits of Lattice Patio Covers
- They can withstand strong winds
- They can be constructed up to 12′ high
- Easily installed using basic home tools
- Come with an easy to use screw kit
- Can be attached or freestanding
- Can be painted/stained in any color
Solid Patio Covers
A solid patio cover is best if you want all round protection from the elements.
Ideal for the smaller home, a solid patio cover is a great way of creating more space when you are entertaining. Choosing this style of patio will allow you to ingrate outdoor and indoor living with ease and will cost a fraction of a full extension.
The Benefits of Solid Patio covers
- They can withstand strong winds
- Offers full protection on rainy days
- Offers shelter from the sun during hot weather
- Ideal for children to play in safely
- They only require basic DIY tools to install
- If DIY is not your thing a tradesman will complete the job quickly
- You can choose from a range of styles and colors
- Will make your home look appealing
- A great place for storing outdoor seating
Panel Patio Covers
Panel patio covers offer the positive aspects of being comfortable and warm inside with the added bonus of making the most of your outdoor space.
This design will cost a lot more money, but it can really enhance your home and you will benefit from your home increasing in value. This style of patio will come with the longest guarantee and will last the longest. It can be decorated to match your house and is one of the cheapest ways to extend your home.
The Benefits of Panel Patio Covers
- Most high-quality panels follow an easy snap and lock system
- They are often made with thermal foam for comfort
- They use the latest state of the art technology
- Offers a superior finish for the ultimate in outdoor luxury
- Easy to maintain
- Sturdy and long-lasting (usually finished with aluminum paint)
Whatever style of patio cover you choose, along with your new natural lawn, artificial grass, or professional paving, you can look forward to long summer days outdoors rather than being stuck inside.