The cost of living typically increases year-to-year without major environmental disasters. The drought that has hit California, Nevada and other states hard over the last couple of years is having a severe impact not only on the cost of water but also other cost of living areas:
• In 2014, California Governor Brown ordered water suppliers to conserve water. This action in combination with consumer water conservation efforts has resulted in fewer profits. To make up their losses, suppliers charge customers more fees.
• According to the USDA, higher water costs naturally increase food costs as farmers and ranchers struggle. Fruit and vegetable farmers must have potable water to grow crops. Ranchers need clean water for their livestock and to maintain fields where their livestock graze.
• Costs also increase because business owners must pay more in these areas. They must also usually pay higher wages to offset the higher cost of living.
Natural grass is often used in California landscaping. Yet, it requires too much water to thrive and costs too much money to maintain. It also causes more conservation problems over other traditional landscaping plants because its shape and distribution can allow water to evaporate and runoff off easily unless it’s irrigated using precise techniques. Many local governments are fining residents that irrigate too much or allow runoff.
Several programs exist that offer financial incentives to residents and business owners who swap out their turf and any other plants associated with water waste with drought-tolerant landscapes. Many Californians have opted to switch to artificial grass. It’s an incredibly easy-to-install option that offers the following environmental benefits.
• The only water needed to maintain artificial grass is rinse water after major incidents that cause it to look dirty.
• Most types of artificial grass have perforated holes to allow precipitation and rinse water to flow through the backing to the ground so that the soil and life within it can benefit.
• Artificial grass backing also helps keep moisture in the ground from quickly evaporating when exposed to sunlight.
Artificial Grass Liquidators provides high-quality artificial grass for landscaping, pets, and sports. Call 1-800-393-5869 to learn more, or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay in touch. Visit our blog at https://www.artificialgrassliquidators.com/blog for landscaping and artificial grass tips.